How to learn to play the synthesizer e, and even figure it out on your own? That is what we will talk about today. Before starting our conversation, we will give you just two settings.
Well, firstly, there is one universal rule: in order to learn how to play the keys, you just need to one day just pick up and start playing them. In fact, the game is a practical activity, coupled to some extent with the cunning of the mind.
Secondly , training is needed, because playing the synthesizer for “young, mischievous” and completely green beginners is like playing football. Imagine how many goals a football player will score in a match if he “scores” in his training. I think very little, what do you think? But constant training allows you to improve and improve your skills. The results are usually not long in coming – what didn’t work out today comes out perfectly literally the very next day!
In addition to these “settings”, we note that in order for you to start learning how to play the synthesizer e and in order to hone your skills in training, you need to have this same synthesizer . Your own instrument, with which you are free to do whatever you want. Even if it is the cheapest model (cheap does not mean bad) or even a “ synthesizer -toy” in general, it will do for a start.
Introduction to the instrument
In general, it is enough just to turn on the instrument in order to start playing it, but it will not be superfluous to get to know the main features of the synthesizer a little better. This instrument was called a synthesizer because it combines hundreds of sounds from a wide variety of musical instruments and hundreds of ready-made arrangements in all possible styles of instrumental music.
Let’s see what function on the keys this or that button is responsible for. So, what can our synthesizers do :
- Play various instrument tones (instrument bank). In order to make it easier to find the timbre we need, synthesizer manufacturers group them according to some criteria: type of instrument (wind, string, etc.), instrument material (wood or copper). Any timbre has a serial number (each manufacturer has its own numbering – abbreviated lists are usually displayed on the body, full lists of codes for a bank of instruments are published in the user manual).
- Automatic accompaniment or “self-playing” – this function makes playing the synthesizer much easier . With it, you can play a piece in any style ( blues , hip-hop, rock, etc.) or genre (waltz, polka, ballad, march, etc.). d.). The best part is that you don’t even need to know sheet music to create self-playing music. Just start the process – improvise and enjoy.
- In addition to the styles of ready-made arrangements, you can also experiment with the tempo and pitch (tonality) of the accompaniment being played.
- The record button will save the melody you have played. You can use it as the second part of your composition: just turn on the record and play something else over the top.
Now let’s look at the working panel of the simplest synthesizer . Everything is simple and logical in it, there is nothing superfluous. The desktops of synthesizers are mostly of the same type. Look at the picture – everything is arranged almost the same on all other models:
How to learn to play the synthesizer on your own?
For those who decide to master everything on their own – a few tips. You need not get carried away with theory, watching video lectures and reading thousands of books for dummies. Your musical perception is so fresh that you can learn a lot intuitively, the main thing is to practice more. This is the first tip.
In order for something to start to work out, you will have to devote time to practicing the instrument – it is very exciting, it directly “blows the roof”, so in order not to sit at the instrument all night long, ask your relatives from time to time to tear you away from the synthesizer and put you to bed. This was the second advice.
Jokes are jokes, but there are real problems that beginners have. Many beginners take on something that is temporarily too tough for them – this should not be done. If you want to play something complex, look for a simplified version of this piece, or rather, start with monophonic melodies, simple exercises, and maybe even scales (some people like to play scales – they sit for hours without stopping).
Musicians have such a thing as fingering . This terrible word is called the expediency of playing a particular note with one or another finger. In short: which fingers to press the buttons. It may seem to you that this is all ridiculous, but we cannot but say about the importance of fingering principles.
Imagine: you need to play five notes in a row, five keys that are located one after the other on the keyboard. What is the easiest and fastest way to do this? After all, do not poke all five buttons with the same finger? Of course not! It is much more convenient to place five fingers of the hand (one above each key), and then, with light “hammer-like” movements, go through five keys.
By the way, keyboard players’ fingers are not called by their proper names (thumb, index, middle, etc.), but are numbered: 1 – large, 2 – index, 3 – middle, 4 – nameless, 5 – little finger. Good sheet music for beginners has a fingering (i.e., the “numbers” of the fingers with which to play those notes) above each note.
The next thing you need to learn is to play chords (three sounds taken at the same time). Accurately work out the movements by moving your fingers from keys to keys. Some fragment does not work – play it again and again, bring the movement to automatism.
Learned the arrangement of notes – read them from a sheet (that is, try to play an unfamiliar piece at an average tempo , making as few mistakes as possible). Reading sheet music is an essential skill for those who in the future wish not only to mechanically play memorized melodies, but quickly and without any difficulties to play completely new pieces for themselves directly from the notes (this is especially useful at family meetings, parties – you can sing songs at the request of your friends).
How to play the synthesizer without knowing the notes?
Do not know the notes and even more so have no idea how to play the synthesizer e? Treat yourself, feel like a mega-keyboardist – auto accompaniment will help you with this . Mastering the skill of playing the synthesizer with the help of “self-playing” is as easy as shelling pears, complete the tasks point by point:
- Turn on the accompaniment function. We will still find all the buttons we need.
- Know that the left hand is responsible for the accompaniment, and the right hand is responsible for the main melodic line (it is not even necessary to play the melody).
- Select the style of the piece you are going to perform. Decide on his pace .
- Select the voice of the instrument of the solo part (if you play a melody, if not, then skip it).
- Turn on a button like “PLAY” or “START” and the synthesizer will play the intro by itself.
- With your left hand on the left half of the keyboard (the closer to the edge, the better), play chords or just play any key. The instrument will play rhythm, bass, accompaniment, pedal and everything else for you.
- With your right hand, you can try to play some melody. In principle, this is not a prerequisite, because you can sing along with the accompaniment you made!
- Does the song end? Press “STOP” and the synthesizer itself will play an interesting ending for you.
In order to use all these modes, find on your model a number of buttons that are similar to those shown in the figure:
Do we study on our own or do we take lessons?
There are several training options, consider each of them.
- Private lessons with a teacher. A good option for those who do not know how to discipline themselves. Mandatory attendance at classes and regular homework will force you to play something on the synthesizer sooner or later .
- Synthesizer courses e. Classes are held in the same way as private ones, only instead of one person, the teacher teaches several at once, which is not so effective.
- Video lessons. A good teaching method: download the lesson, view it several times and do everything according to the teacher’s recommendations. You set the time for classes and the timing of the study of the material for yourself.
- Game tutorial (book, website, online magazine, etc.). Another good way to study the features of the game on the synthesizer e. Choose the material you like – and forward to the musical barricades. A big plus is that you can always go back and read (view) the misunderstood material again and again.
- With the help of a synthesizer “tutorial”. On the display screen, the program tells you which keys to press with which hand and fingers. This method is more like dragging. You will undoubtedly have reflexes a la “Pavlov’s dog”, but this will not help you advance far in performing skills on the synthesizer e.
Of course, it is impossible to learn everything about how to learn to play the synthesizer at a time. But we helped solve the problems that all beginners face.